Congratulations to TPTE Alumna Lori Farley, named 2018 East Tennessee Teacher of the Year

The Department of Theory and Practice in Teacher Education (TPTE) congratulates alumna Lori A. Farley.  Farley was named the 2018 Tennessee Teacher of the Year, Grand Division winner for East Tennessee. Farley graduated in 2004 with her MS in Elementary Education and is a media specialist at North City Elementary School in Athens, Tennessee.

“I wanted to … express how grateful I am for the teacher prep program at UTK!  It certainly did set me on a great path and has helped lead me to being named East TN Teacher of the Year! The year-long internship was something that hardly any other teacher that began teaching around the same time as me had the opportunity to experience!  Plus, I had amazing teachers!  Dr. Wooten and Dr. Turner stick out in my mind as helping me see the importance of strong literacy instruction.  I remember Dr. Davis-Wiley’s spunk and enthusiasm in class, and Dr. Vaccaro was my UT Mentoring teacher as I interned at Lenoir City Elementary. I will forever appreciate the encouragement he provided. I have many other fond memories of the learning that occurred while in my educator prep courses! It is a wonderful program, and I’m very thankful I was a part of it!  I’m proud to represent as an alum from the TPTE program at UTK!” said Lori.

As a Teacher of the Year state finalist, Lori will serve on the Teacher Advisory Council for the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons.

Sherry Bell, TPTE department head, said: “Honored to call Lori one of our alumnae, she is clearly a knowledgeable and dedicated teacher, characteristics we seek to promote in all our graduates. We are very proud of her well-deserved recognition, and of her contributions to teacher education and as an UT alumni.”

Report an accessibility barrier.Privacy.