Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Graduate Admissions, Tuition and Fees, and Financial Aid

Complete your application through Graduate Admissions. All supporting materials must be uploaded and submitted electronically along with your application. No hard copies will be accepted.

When making an application to the Graduate School, you must submit your application as early as possible, but no later than one month prior to the review or entry date. You have the final responsibility for the timely arrival of each required item.

Please note:

  1. The entire application process is completed online through the Graduate School.  No documents are to be submitted to the department.
  2. Files will not be reviewed until all required items are received (electronically).
  3. Items sent to the incorrect location can delay or prevent consideration of your application.

University of Tennessee Graduate Admissions

  • The Graduate School application must be completed online.
  • Application fee of $60 (nonrefundable) is due before any application will be processed.
  • Three years teaching experience is mandatory (PhD students only)

The application fee for readmission is $30 (including change of program)

One unofficial transcript from each institution (undergraduate and/or graduate) attended.

  • Uploaded as part of the online application.
  • Official transcripts will be requested from the Graduate School after admitted to the TPTE program.

Official GRE Scores

  • Required only for PhD applicants.
  • Send directly to the Graduate School: UT school code is 1843.

Official TOEFL Scores

Official copy of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores if your native language is not English.

  • Requirement is waived if you complete a degree from a US academic institution.

The items below are included as part of the Graduate School’s online application (as Supplemental Questions).

  • Writing sample, uploaded and submitted with online application (PhD students only)
  • Three rating forms, uploaded and submitted with online application. (MS in Teacher Education, Educational Studies Concentration; EdS; and PhD applicants only)
  • Three years of teaching experience is mandatory (PhD students only)

Graduate assistantships are the primary source of funding for graduate students at UT and are offered by the department. An assistantship is a financial award to a graduate student for part-time work in teaching, administration supervision, or research while pursuing an advanced degree. (See application link below) Appointments are normally on a one-fourth to one-half time basis, usually requiring 10–20 hours of service per week. The annual stipend is payable in either nine or 12 monthly installments. In addition to the stipend, graduate teaching assistants (GTA), graduate teaching associates (GTAssoc), graduate assistants (GA), and graduate research assistants (GRA), with appointments on a one-fourth time basis or higher, are entitled to a waiver of maintenance fees and tuition for the period of appointment in accordance with university policy. These appointments also include a benefit of health insurance for the student. General information about TPTE Graduate Assistantships is available through the Graduate School.

A limited number of graduate teaching assistantships are available from our department. Very few master’s students are funded through the department. However, there are many sources of funding and assistantships elsewhere on campus.

*PhD applicants who wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship with the Department of Theory and Practice in Teacher Education (TPTE) must apply to the Graduate School by January 1 and be fully admitted to the PhD program by February 15. Applications for graduate assistantships must be submitted to the department by February 1.

TPTE Graduate Teaching Assistantship Application

The University of Tennessee is required to obtain citizenship and immigration documentation from all entering students under the Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA).

US citizens are required submit one (1) of the following:

  • Valid driver’s license or current photo identification
  • An official birth certificate
  • A copy of your social security card that can be verified with the Social Security Administration

Permanent residents and non-US citizens are required to submit two (2) of the following:

  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with visa stamped “Processed for I-551”
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with valid visa
  • Arrival/departure form I-94

For information on tuition and fees, please visit

One Stop, UT Financial Aid

Academic Common Market

TPTE supports approximately twenty graduate assistantships each year. While not restricted to doctoral level applicants, the majority of these assistantships are awarded to doctoral students who work with teacher education faculty in the supervision and mentoring of interns. In addition, there are two that are limited to doctoral students who work with education technology faculty and teach the core technology course. Assistantships are also available in reading education, educational interpreting, and other specialized programs funded through grants. Awards are made in the late spring and summer for the following academic year to current students and new students who have been accepted into graduate degree programs. General information about available graduate assistantships can be found through the Graduate School.

For further information, please contact:

Gina Guinn

For academic advising, please contact CEHHS Office of Advising and Student Services.