Students having a baccalaureate degree with a major in ESL, TESL, English, Linguistics, or in a world language may be eligible required of potential applicants for this program:
- a personal interview with the ESL Faculty* in the Department of Theory and Practice in Teacher Education at least one semester prior to initiating licensure coursework
- a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better
- previous study of a second language
- tutoring/teaching experience with a linguistically and culturally-diverse population is highly desired
Once coursework and the required supervised practicum have been completed, the candidate for initial licensure must take and pass the PRAXIS II professional core and the PRAXIS ESL subtest designated by the state of Tennessee.
For information about the course of study:
Please follow this link to the UT Graduate Catalog.
- Select the appropriate catalog from the dropdown menu on the right.
- Select the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences.
- Scroll to TPTE and select “Display Programs for this Department.”
- Click on the appropriate program to see the credit requirements and admission procedures for each program.
Add-On Endorsement -ESL
Students who have a strong academic background in English, Linguistics or in a world language and who already hold a valid initial Tennessee license, or who are matriculating an initial teaching license and who desire to pursue an add-on endorsement in PreK-12 ESL, are advised to contact the ESL Faculty in the TPTE Department to plan for the required coursework and the supervised practicum experience. Since the ESL coursework is somewhat sequenced, students are urged to seek advising as early as possible.
The coursework and second language study for the add-on endorsement are the same as for initial licensure except there is no instructional technology course required (although, it is still highly recommended).
The ESL practicum requirement is as follows: One year documented K-12 ESL full-time teaching experience as stated above, or a 60-hour supervised practicum in a K-12 setting (FL/ESL Ed. 556).
*ESL Education Faculty: