Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

English Language Learning Minor

Students interested in becoming PreK-12 English as a Second Language teachers typically earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in the College of Arts and Sciences with a major in English, linguistics, or a world language (i.e., Asian Studies, French, German, Spanish). As part of their degree, they should complete ENGL 477 or ENGL 372; ENGL 471  (Sociolinguistics) is highly recommended. While completing requirements for the baccalaureate degree, students are encouraged to matriculate a minor in English language learning.

Maintaining Good Academic Standing in Teacher Education

To maintain good standing in the Teacher Education Program and to qualify for a degree and/or licensure as a teacher, students must perform adequately both in the university classroom and in the school(s). Students must maintain a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA, establish and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in their major, and maintain a minimum 2.8 GPA (course grade C or higher required) in professional education courses.

Complete information on the teacher licensure program is available through the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences’  Office of Advising and Student Services or from teaching area faculty.

Required Courses For English Language Learning Minor