The College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences has the distinction of having a nationally-ranked Teacher Education program, and is NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) accredited. Consequently, prospective applicants for a specialization in ESL Education, follow both NCATE and TESOL standards for its students.
- Verbal and quantitative GRE scores (taken within the past 5 years) equal to or higher than the 50th percentile, based on the norms in effect at the time the test was taken. Applicants are expected to earn a minimum score of 4.5 points on the Analytic Writing subtest of the GRE. For international students, a TOEFL score of 550 on the paper-based version (PBT); or 213 on the computer-based version (CBT); or 79-80 on the Internet-based version (IBT) is required for general admission to Graduate School at The University of Tennessee.
- Three letters of reference from those who know of the candidate’s record and promise
- Academic transcripts that reflect an overall GPA of 3.3 in previous graduate study is required for admission to doctoral study
- An interview with faculty may be required
Admissions decisions are made on a holistic basis to discern the candidate’s promise for doctoral study and to ascertain the match of the candidate’s educational goals with the resources and goals of the department. Non-native English speaking applicants must comply with all admission requirements stipulated by the Graduate School and are advised to speak with faculty regarding admission standards.
Faculty from the department participate in the delivery of the PhD with a major in education.
To view the course of study
Please follow this link to the UT Graduate Catalog.
- Select the appropriate catalog from the dropdown menu on the right.
- Select the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences.
- Scroll to TPTE and select “Display Programs for this Department.”
- Click on the appropriate program to see the credit requirements and admission procedures for each program.
For more information, contact: