Students are expected to read and meet requirements of the Graduate School with regard to admission applications, candidacy forms, scheduling comprehensive exam, as well as meeting all the unit requirements regarding the courses in their graduate program. See Graduate School catalog for specific procedures.
The Art Education faculty will meet with the candidate during the first semester to plan the program of courses. For both Track 1 and Track 2, a comprehensive written examination is required during the final semester of work. An oral exam is also given over the thesis.
Competencies to be developed:
- Ability to organize and direct or supervise a program of art appropriate to the needs of an education institution.
- Functional knowledge of literature and research in the fields of art and art education.
- Increased competency in some selected phase of performance in the visual arts.
- Increased professional effectiveness through broadened understanding and interest in the fields of art and art education.
The Track 1 Master of Science serves those students who have a BS, BA or BFA and desire a master’s degree, but do not wish to pursue certification to teach art, or who already have certification to teach art and wish to pursue a master’s.
An exhibition offered instead of a thesis toward graduation must be of work directed by the art and art education faculty, and the artwork completed while pursing the master’s degree; a written paper must accompany the exhibition. The paper includes (a) philosophical statement; (b) process and media explanation (demonstration of knowledge); (c) compositional analysis of each work; and (d) how the work relates to one’s personal artist statement.
Course of Study
Please follow this link to the UT Graduate Catalog.
- Select the appropriate catalog from the dropdown menu on the right.
- Select the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences.
- Scroll to TPTE and select “Display Programs for this Department.”
- Click on the appropriate program to see the credit requirements and admission procedures for each program.