- Who? The Social Science Education faculty of TPTE have secured funding for a UTK/Knox County Schools partnership project from the Teaching with Primary Sources Program of the U.S. Library of Congress.
- What? The purpose of the project is to better prepare our teacher candidates for their internships through a combination of clinically-rich pre-internship coursework and mentor/intern professional development training to support methods for teaching with primary sources.
- When? Planning for the project begins in fall 2017. The first pre-internship methods course will begin in spring 2018, and professional development for mentors and interns will begin in summer 2018.
- Where? The clinical experiences and professional development will take place with Knox County middle and high school social studies teachers.
- Why? The purpose of the project is twofold. First, our candidates will gain clinical experience and deeper understanding of teaching practices through the pre-internship methods course. Second, our school-based mentors and interns will have the opportunity to work together prior to internship to build relationships and discuss high leverage practices for social studies prior to the beginning of the internship year. We hope that doing so will help mentors see the vision of our Social Science Education program and be better positioned to support our candidates in their internships.
Skip to content